Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Musicals and Plays or Whatever

Hello again.

I'm not sure how you all feel about plays or musicals. I know at first I just thought they were all the same. I want a man, I need a man, the man I have is no good so he beat me or cheated I went to church one Sunday he got saved, or I met a nice Christian man "The End".

Well my mind changed when my mother finally got be to watch "Mr. Right Now" this is a love story but it has many more elements than I ever thought. Next was "His Woman, His Wife" which was great when they added the villian and nasty baby momma.

But what really grabs you unexpectedly is the music selection and the talented singers used in each play. (The music progress as David's career does.) I expected to hear a lot of remakes and I'm not talking good ones but the secular songs made to gospel songs or gospel songs made to love songs because the writer or producer does not have enough musical know how or the right mind to ask a musician or songwriter for a little help. These plays really opened the door for me. They were produced by David E. Talbert. If you don't know who he is check him out at www.DavidETalbert.com.

If you are familiar with Walt Whitman and the Soul Children of Chicago you will see on the best Sopranos in my book LeCresia Campbell. There are also many familiar faces from TV, Movies, and singers from different groups and choirs.

I said all this to say this. There are other plays which David has produced "Love on Layaway", "Fabric of a Man", and "He Say, She Say but What does God Say". There are others but this is what I've seen of his to date.

My personal favorite is the "He say, She Say". This play is much more than what the title eludes. Based in Detroit drug dealers and gangsters are warring with the local church. Without telling the story before you watch it just know that God prevailed after many twists and turns.

I recommend this as your first David film. There are many others but if you are of the mindset that all black plays are the same watch this one first and let me know what you think.

Now I know you are wondering what about Tyler Perry. Well we will tackle that another day when I have more time.

Love you all to pieces.

Ro.

No comments:

Post a Comment